FW: Who can object.... -- from Vera John Steiner

From: Judy Diamondstone (judith.diamondstone@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Jan 01 2002 - 00:57:27 PST

'twas intended for xmca

Happy new year!

-----Original Message-----
From: Vera John-Steiner [mailto:vygotsky@unm.edu]
Sent: Monday, December 31, 2001 1:02 PM
To: diamonju@rci.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: Who can object to a little subjecting?

Hi,
Perhaps, our problem is that we follow the general dichotomy between
objective and subjective rather than seeing them as interwoven processes. As
I am writing this sentence, I use a socially shared form of communication,
the English language (objectified in a dictionary, subjectively inflected
with my multilingual past, the distinction resonant of Vygotsky's meaning
and sense.).
I think with you, puzzling your collective thoughts, while contributing my
particular understanding of CHAT, collaborating in making explicit my lived
experience which is always a mixture of his/herstory shaped by world
events, and the specificity of where we stand and breathe at a particular
moment. To me objective is a temporarily verifiable fact, where the methods
and instruments of verification change, all the time. But holding on to a
moment of agreement
about a "fact" is useful, it is a moment of pause while we engage in the
endless questioning.
Vera