more subjectivities

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 14:42:48 PST

Hmmmmm. I can't read French well enough to get access to Benveniste, relatively
little of whose work seems to be in English-- there is more in Russian!

There is a fiske and shweder book on metatheory in social sciences with
the term subjectivities in the title that might prove helpful in seeing how
this terain is laid out, but as Judy suggested, a lot of the books I come
up with that have subjectivities in the title are based on narratives and
self-representations.

I'll need to keep poking at this question for a while, but I am mindful
of the Gergenesque/Middletonesque reminder from discursive psychology that
people's accounts are situated and always must be considered in terms of
their instrumentality vis a vis the ongoing interactions they help to
constitute-- which renders the relations between representation and the
author's "real" subjectivities problematic.

Susan-- Does Benveniste help us with this issue?
mike

PS-- Here is one ref I have started to follow up on>

>From subjects to subjectivities : a handbook of interpretive and
    participatory methods / edited by Deborah L. Tolman and Mary Brydon-Miller.

    New York : New York University Press, c2001.