RE: subjected

From: Judy Diamondstone (judith.diamondstone@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 13:07:31 PST

Judy-- I would like to follow the thread of your and dianne's notes
which views subjectivity as the lived experience of events. Under what
conditions can we know the lived expeience of another person about
anything?

As I recall, Dianne's note mentions the verbal expression of that lived
experience as the source of data. The issue that is vexing me is that
I intuitively have understood subjectivity in the writings of
anthropologists,
say, to mean what you and Diane say. But I am totally unclear about what
constitute acceptable warrants for making claims about someone's
subjectivity,
even one's own.

I feel as if Danzinger's book on the early history of psychology in which
people introspecting came to be called subjects is relevant here, and there
MUST be some textbook which discusses this issue in anth or soc or critical
psych (Walkerdine?) but have been unable to put my hands on such a
discussion.

mike