[Fwd: Barbara Wien]

From: Molly Freeman (mollyfreeman@telis.org)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 10:14:43 PST

FYI

Molly

attached mail follows:

November 21, 2001

Dear Dr. Freeman:

Chester Crocker, Chairman of the Board of the U.S. Institute of Peace,
has asked me, in my position as Executive Vice President of the
Institute, to respond to your e-mail addressed to him regarding Ms.
Barbara Wien. As with most organizations like the Institute, Board
members do not handle specific personnel matters.

The Institute does not publicly discuss the nature of its relationship
with employees and former employees. I want to assure you, however,
that Ms. Wien was not fired for views she may have expressed regarding
the war in Afghanistan. She submitted a letter of resignation to me on
October l7, 2001.

I also want to affirm that the Institute is committed to open discussion
of contrasting opinions on all issues of war and peace, and at no time
would an individual staff member’s personal views on public policy
matters be a litmus test for employment. We enjoy a diversity of
opinion among our staff members, and encourage debate on the issues.

Thank you for your expression of concern and your interest in the
Institute.

Sincerely,

Harriet Hentges
Executive Vice President