From activity theory to data and back

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 16:59:30 PST

My apologies for that subject take-off on a title by YE. But I'm not sorry!
;-)

Kevin, your comments are right on indeed. But I prefer to think of this
situation, not through the CoP lens, but as two systems of activity,
essentially isolated from each other (1), for which I may have failed to begin
an "expansive-context" with the proposal as a boundary object. The attempt to
bring material from the chat system to the divg,sec4 aera system, and create a
highway for expansive acivity, hit a speedbump. The artifact of one system was
rejected by the other. Nevertheless, the proposal has been read and with that
kind of information entropy, there is no going back, or in other words there
has been some ground gained, however little. The question remains what is the
nature of the "speedbump", and Mike's comments concerning theory and
data-collection in relation to theory points to the need for that to be
explicated / communicated. While this year's attempt focussed on the case
study with the data and theory being in a supportive role, a preliminary
hypothesis is to invert this relationship for the next proposal. But I suspect
that even that will fall short -- the reason being that it takes more than a
clever proposal to build "credibility" for a person entering into a new system.
 Interestingly, some related "lay" knowledge was once offered to me while at
bbn -- becoming "a known quantity" as a means to achieve successful proposals.
 In Cindy Jouper's situation across Raymond and ESD 113, this took many years.

And wouldn't you know that I grow sage in my herb garden, along with the
parsley and thyme -- all of which has survived the frosts so far. The more
delicate rosemary is in pots and has been taken in for the winter. But it
looks like aera won't be in arizona until all perdition is under a blanket of
white.

Footnotes:
(1) One means to determine the degree of isolation between these two academic
systems is to identify publications that cross reference the two systems.

=====
"One of life's quiet excitements is to stand somewhat apart from yourself and watch yourself softly become the author of something beautiful."
[Norman Maclean in "A river runs through it."]