OK -- some more info

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 18:22:44 PST

Here is some other contextual information that I'm a little ill at ease sharing
-- i.e. it would be more comfortable discussing the issues of data collection
in relation to theory, but of course theories must be put in relation to
paradigms.

So I'm not complaining -- it was a risk going to a new division. I did review
papers for this division to learn of it, and it is clear that this is just the
beginning of the learning curve. It is unclear whether the timing of aera and
the available resources would make attendance possible this year anyway -- what
I'd like to do, is to learn, to figure out, what produced lousy marks on
theoretical framework and data collection, and perhaps try again. Is it only a
personal view that CHAT makes you tune in to things that other theoretical
frameworks do not? -- actually, let me rebut that in real time: Nardi makes
this point when she contrasts AT, distributed cognition, and situated cognition
frameworks, and how much attention each pays to structuration, artifacts,
social interactions, environment, etc.

Division G, Section 4, is Social Contexts of Educational Policy, Politics, and
Praxis.

The title of the talk is "The Complex of Rural School Change: People,
Computers, Economy, and Distance." It was an individual proposal.

I'd appreciate your sage and experienced comments Mike.

bb

--- Mike Cole <mcole@weber.ucsd.edu> wrote:

> bb--
>
> What was the title of the roundtable, what is division G and what was the
> title
> of your talk? All this info would help me in responding to your query.
> mike

=====
"One of life's quiet excitements is to stand somewhat apart from yourself and watch yourself softly become the author of something beautiful."
[Norman Maclean in "A river runs through it."]