Re: another pesky example

From: Kevin Rocap (krocap@csulb.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 10:48:27 PST

Dear Mike,

The example you gave doesn't specify whether the student mentioned as
having problems is an "English language learners." Any chance that is
the case? It would affect a diagnosis/analysis of what might be going
on.

And, of course, we don't even identify African American speakers of
Ebonics or low-income white students as "English language learners,"
though we might, with regard to "standard academic English" that
overwhelmingly reflects white, educated, middle/upper middle class
language dialects and registers.

Just curious.

In Peace,
K.