eclectism and oxymorons

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 20:32:42 PST

Hi Eric,

IMHO Those that are consistent about what it is to be eclectic, are not
necessarily the same as those that are eclectic,. One can think of it this
way: sheep have some way of telling themselves from the wolves.

But I like the idea of oxymorons and will think about such things some more.
After all, an oxymoron is a contradiction in terms, and contradictions can
serve to reveal the fragility of human thought. Non-eclecticism perhaps, is
the "hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and
divines."

This is a strong claim. And I think it is in relation to the crises.

But beyond that, I have not a clew. bahaaaaa. And I'm probably wrong. But I
must rise in 4 hours to catch a plane, which is not so easy nowadays, so I'm
keeping it short.

And I really must tell you that I deplore the term "bubbleheaded". Generally
speaking, derogatory terms have an unpleasant effect.

Catch my drift, dude? The challenge facing white american males is how to be
respectful while also living up to their conditioning of being a rebel. It's
some sort of cosmic puzzle, which one never quite completes. Like walking a
knife-edge, you're always too far on the wrong side, regardless of which side.

Totally cosmic.

bb

=====
"One of life's quiet excitements is to stand somewhat apart from yourself and watch yourself softly become the author of something beautiful."
[Norman Maclean in "A river runs through it."]