Re: eclecticism

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2001 - 19:31:30 PST

The problem I see with this mike, that of systematic interrelation as a
criterion for theoretical non-eclecticism, is that it is based upon a static
view of knowledge on an ideal plane. Rather, if we take knowledge as dynamic,
that even when in the balance of internal/external its most internal form is
still action, then perhaps theory-in-action with the systemic interrelation
including external physical, social and artifactually mediated action, would be
a more inclusive criterion. Ideas can relate to each other through more than
ideal relationships -- they can relate to each other through the actions that
they mediate.

Hence, the sense I am building of non-eclecticism is broader, yet dynamic.

bb

--- Mike Cole <mcole@weber.ucsd.edu> wrote:

> Bruce-- I am late on this discussion, but my understanding of eclecticism
> is connected to the methods/methodology discussion. So Victor talking
> about AT and artifact mediation and pointing out there are other approaches
> is irrelevant to whether one is talking ecelcticim or not. Rather, if one
> uses a hodepodge of methods with no systematic ideas about how they relate
> to each other and relate theory to data, THAT is eclecticism. That different
> theoretical approaches may play complementary roles in examining a
> phenomenon is a different matter.
>
> That, of course, is just me writing. It would be interesting to know what
> Victor would say.
> mike

=====
"One of life's quiet excitements is to stand somewhat apart from yourself and watch yourself softly become the author of something beautiful."
[Norman Maclean in "A river runs through it."]