eclecticism

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2001 - 11:34:39 PST

Bruce-- I am late on this discussion, but my understanding of eclecticism
is connected to the methods/methodology discussion. So Victor talking
about AT and artifact mediation and pointing out there are other approaches
is irrelevant to whether one is talking ecelcticim or not. Rather, if one
uses a hodepodge of methods with no systematic ideas about how they relate
to each other and relate theory to data, THAT is eclecticism. That different
theoretical approaches may play complementary roles in examining a
phenomenon is a different matter.

That, of course, is just me writing. It would be interesting to know what
Victor would say.
mike