more maths

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 28 2001 - 17:15:37 PST

Jerry-- I do not think the discussion of maths has gone away for good.

We have an upcoming meeting of LCHC with the School of Ed at Haifa where
I hope that we will be able to extend the disucssion to include not
only Brian's ideas (which are the topic of discussion at LCHC tomorrow)
but Ana Sfard's (her paper is available, I believe, on her website but
I do not know the URL offhand, and Joe Goguen's (whose paper is on
his website).

I do think that we need to focus in on the varied meanings of "object"
in this discussion. Certainly, to talk of mathematics within a CHAT
framework it is going to be necessary to consider the term quite differently
than if we were to talk about it within other frameworks.

My hope is that the Haifa/UCSD discussion can be streamed, in which case
others on XMCA can sit in on it and we can always put the requisite papers
on the website for discussion.

I have been totally overwhelmed with teaching duties and am behind on what
I took to be the topic of the month, which is Vygotsky's article on the crisis
in psychology. But perhaps that has run its course?

Time will tell.
mike