Gary's monastic places

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 11:29:58 PDT

--- Gary Shank <shank@duq.edu> wrote:

> catholic monasticism has always maintained a tension between being able to
> contemplate and meditate, and being available in an active way in the
> world. these issues are imbedded in their rules and practices, and might
> be worht examining...

 Nice site -- the monastery virtual tour. And these issues are also embedded
in their physical ecologies, ala Roger Barker. Great panoramic movies --
something like this may make possible some interesting ways to organize data
for ecological/activity studies. I think what the web did for cern data, it
could do for social data -- and publication electronically might include such
things that colleagues can examine in relation to theoretical claims.

I tried making a panorama for the skatepark, but my dig cam has cheap optics
and it is not easy.

I'd like to think of contemplation and meditation (mediation with a "t"?) as
internal plane actions in relation to different goals.

but, fyi, the site with rules ruffles my feathers. I spent 7 years in a
parochial school.

bb

----