Re: from easing up to eclectisism

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 17:59:42 PDT

Bill,

The system of bureaucracies which most people in education work is definitely
an aspect of Vygotsky's crisis. The public chiding he gave his student,
Luria is evidence of the system within which Vygotsky worked. To ignore this
system's impact upon a person's development (whether they be a student or
ateacher in the system) would be to ignore the cultural influence upon
everybody's development. I see the first chapter of his crisis reading as a
public speech to a gathering of students who he attempting to sell on his
newly emerging developmental methodology.

To look at my situation in an ontological - phylogenetic debate it can be
assumed that members of XMCA who have spent more time using the lsitserve
then I have and have most likely moved beyond the period of development where
emotions posts are acceptable. But because I have not engaged in the history
of debates that many members have already participated in I still let my
"youthful enthusiasm" get the best of me and I fire off a post I don't give a
second thought. Then, Mike an experienced XMCA'er posts a response that
provides mediation for me to achieve a higher level of understanding
regarding the XMCA listserve. Because I have spent some time as a member of
this listserve my current Zone of Proximal Development was receptive to
Mike's mediation I achieved ahigher level of understanding and possibly the
whole XMCA community learned as well.

What do you think?
eric