tensions of democratic math and the relation to crisis

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 18:20:14 PDT

In a message dated 10/17/2001 4:58:56 AM Central Daylight Time,
mowen@rem.bangor.ac.uk writes:

> They learn that teaching is an acquired
> ability fairly soon, but they also learn that there is something to be
> acquired as well. It is not enough to be a geographer either, and the fact
> that the word for teach and learn in Welsh is the same word begins to
> reveal its meaning.

Maartin,
thank-you for the intrusion it was perfectly timed regarding the difference
between practioner and 'general scientist". I certainly agree that teaching
is a skill just as framing a house is a skill. Just to know how to do
something does not a teacher make. My point was that the teacher who is
teaching abstract thought must take into consideration that that abstract
construct came from some reality. This is exactly the point that Vygotsky
makes in chapter 5 of crisis.

Eric