Math Commentators

From: Kevin Rocap (krocap@csulb.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 12:03:15 PDT

Dear friends,

Please excuse a quick aside from "crisis" (btw, has anyone else been
struck by the synchronicity of that shorthand for the current discussion
on Vygotsky and current political events?).

Here's the aside, "crisis" folks shield your eyes ;-):

I've been following the varied math threads with interest. At our
Center I direct edtech projects that include hosting Global Learning
Network projects for K-12 and now, for K-12 and teacher education.

We are beginning a new session of our "Connecting Math to Our Lives"
project - that has a social action/social justice bent.

It just occurred to me that if there are any takers on this list who
might be willing to peruse or respond to exchanges that may arise during
the project that you might be able to add probing questions or math
commentary to the process. I can't exactly promise how the project will
progress or when/whether such contributions might come into play (as
these things take on their own directions).

But are there any potentially interested bystanders who might chip in a
reflection/comment/question here or there?

You wouldn't be expected to monitor the whole project. We would likely
send you an occasional or relevant post and encourage you to reply, or
give us feedback. Please e-mail me directly if you think you might like
to be a "math commentator." It would help if you use that as the
Subject line.

We are also looking for ideas of the kind of data that students in
different locations internationally could collect that would help
highlight our focus on algebraic thinking, and also raise provocative
justice issues. We've had some thoughts about data on wages versus
costs of some everyday items, as well as a few others. But new ideas
are always welcome.

Again, feel free to e-mail me directly as "math commentators" if you
don't mind.

I now return you to the regularly scheduled "crisis."

In Peace,
K.