All 'chrisis' is a hard nut to crack

From: Ricardo Ottoni Vaz Japiassu (rjapias@uol.com.br)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 20:09:27 PDT

We would say, here, that LSV's chrisis is "a very difficult bond to gnaw" (um osso difícil de roer) - something like yours "hard nut to crack" or "very strict"... Besides the fact his text in Portuguese is very long and into a "brick" (in a very thick book).

To read all/any chrisis is, no doubt, a task that demands some time.

I had the impression, after reading it this time ( I'd already put my eyes on it some years ago) that it was conceived as a conference - I'm not sure about it. Specially the last part of it (number 14) seems to me like a speach in order to take off a round of applause from an audience that in those times believed in the dream of a "new man" and a "new society".

Although he is right - in my oppinion - to say Psychology needs to become a science or a hole (General Psychology) that can unify all psychological work of the past in a new and unique ensemble under new basis, a "culture of peace" or the cultural-historical approach to psyche, LSV seems to me, somethimes, advocating a "culture of war" between psychological streams that have different readings of reality, different ways of understanding psychological phenomena and therefore that believe in different truths.

It is like he is saying there is only one truth - the cientifical truth. And this contradicts - in my view - what he himself says about the complex relation between science, knowledge and the words (number 9).

Ricardo Japiassu
Professor da Universidade do Estado da Bahia-Uneb X
rjapias@uol.com.br