ontologic math anxiety

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 07:55:05 PDT

Jay damn well knows he would get a rise by insinuating students should not be
exposed to sophisticated views of what mathematics is, one problem being that
the withholding makes an intellectual elitism, at least one ideational class
distinction. There is neither any evidence, as far as I know, that indicates
what prior developments are necessary to establish understandings, to whatever
varied degrees, of the ontology of mathematical objects. Nor is there a
significant theory of the development of mathmatical thinking/action that spans
from counting to incompleteness. And should we make on students' behalf the
decision whether they will like math or not, whether they will take it
seriously, or not? But I love Jay, and am glad to read his chapterish
postings, how provocative they are to inquiring minds.

And other communications beckon...

bb

=====
"One of life's quiet excitements is to stand somewhat apart from yourself and watch yourself softly become the author of something beautiful."
[Norman Maclean in "A river runs through it."]