RE: re-search

From: KELLY, ELIZABETH (EKELLY@gc.cuny.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 10:16:30 PDT

He homike sez
>Diane-- Ever notice that research is dervied from re-search? I kind of
>like
>that idea. It makes knowledge into something that you may find, but lose,
>so you have to go searching again.

yes, yep - i remember way back when i first started looking into the
theories of 'deconstruction,' Derrida, all that; and the first thing i
found myself doing was scrutinizing the vocabulary of the academic
tradition. re-search - look again. it all speaks to history, n'est pas?

>Or maybe its why Wizards live backwards in time and forget to tell us
>what's about to happen that is consequential for us?
>mike

ah yes but if we learn from history, perhaps we can anticipate some of the
more predictable outcomes from our repetitions.
:)
diane

********
"Waves of hands, hesitations at street corners, someone dropping a
cigarette in a gutter - all are stories. But which is the true story? That
I do not know. Hence I keep my phrases hung like clothes in a cupboard,
waiting for someone to wear them. Thus waiting, thus speculating, making
this note and then another, I do not cling to life."
Virginia Woolf, The Waves, 1931.

     (...life clings to me...)
*********
diane celia hodges
university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
vancouver, bc
mailing address: 46 broadview avenue, montreal, qc, H9R 3Z2