Re: Re(2): New York City

From: Charles Nelson (c.nelson@mail.utexas.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 16 2001 - 20:00:53 PDT

Karen, you wrote:

>We are not talking revenge. Self-defense is not madness. Children were
>killed on those planes and probably in the WTC. We are talking about
>preventing criminals from committing more crimes.

I fully agree, but I also want to know when we are going to stop
American leaders from committing more crimes. Just one example that I
think someone else posted already, but still an excerpt from Noam
Chomsky:

Today's attacks were major atrocities. In terms of number of victims
they do not reach the level of many others, for example, Clinton's
bombing of the Sudan with no credible pretext, destroying half its
pharmaceutical supplies and probably killing tens of thousands of people
(no one knows, because the US blocked an inquiry at the UN and no one
cares to pursue it). Not to speak of much worse cases, which easily come
to mind. But that this was a horrendous crime is not in doubt. The
primary victims, as usual, were working people: janitors, secretaries,
firemen, etc. It is likely to prove to be a crushing blow to
Palestinians and other poor and oppressed people. It is also likely to
lead to harsh security controls, with many possible ramifications for
undermining civil liberties and internal freedom.

Charles