Re(2): New York City

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 16 2001 - 15:39:06 PDT

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:
>The facts are that at least one, and probably several fundamentalist
>Islamic groups have declared war in word and in deed on the United States
>with the express plan of using terrorism against civilians. If you
>follow European affairs, you will know that over the years there have
>been many terror bombings there, too, on both the Continent and in the
>UK. Terrorism against civilians has become an ongoing threat, and not
>just is Western nations. Sri Lanka, for example, has had a similar
>situation for many years with Tamil military groups.

exactly!! - yes. i am feeling, certainly afraid, but i still feel i can
disseminate terrorism as an attack on civilians - not to say anyone is
innocent, but that an understanding of terrorism involves thinking beyond
the US... gracia.

>Whatever may be thought by people living in safe (?) countries like
>Canada and New Zealand, the situation now is that the United States is at
>war, and not a war that we declared. Whatever the root causes of that
>war, it is not at a point of "OK, we fix the causes (as if they were so
>simple to fix) and then the war will go away." The war is here.
>Independent of Bush. Independent of Israel/Palestinian conflict.

you know, on tuesday, in much confusion, i wrote that the hijackings and
attacks amounted to an act of war -
and you are right - it exceeds our understandings of current foreign
policy.

> Bin
>Laden himself has proclaimed that his major grudge against the US came
>from the stationing of American troops on holy Saudi land during the Gulf
>War and the resulting desecration of Islamic values. He also wants to
>bring down all secularist Muslim governments. This is not a situation
>that can be "fixed" like you fix your SUV when it breaks down.

this is confusion to me - he will, of course, denounce the attacks... but
does that absolve his involvement?
i don't know.

>We in the US have a nasty but unavoidable problem. We have to wage a war
>to keep our people from being slaughtered, and we have to do it without
>overstepping the bounds of morality and common decency while having as
>president someone I personally think isn't fit to drive a bus, much less
>manage the only remaining superpower.

i'm no republican, but i have to admit, thus far, Bush has done nothing to
indicate his incompetence - America votes for a paternalistic leader, and
Bush has played the role of the father, daddy, very well.
frankly, i am not convinced of his incompetence, yet.

>Pretending we aren't at war is only going to complicate the real issue -
>dealing with taking necessary military action in ways which are both
>effective and moral.

i can't imagine - and this is my limitation - how any act of war can have
moral implications...

>Note that I am not a pacifist - I believe that
>killing in self defense is justified - but that there are moral and
>immoral ways of conducting wars. We are going to go in to get Bin Laden
>and we are going to kill him and every one of his terror group we can get
>- and we are right. What we will not do, I hope, is do it in such a way
>that Afghani civilians, who Heaven knows have suffered enough already,
>will further suffer. The US government is already modulating its public
>stance to one of "the right action at the right time." There are
>enough real professionals in the White House that Bush will be
>restrained. If you follow the news, you will notice that almost
>everybody is becoming less hotheaded. Realism is setting in - and the
>knowledge that things are going to be tough for a long time to come.

oh dear. i admit that for me a pacifist position involves understanding,
not reciprocative violence - it is never okay for anyone to die, and i
think phil graham expressed this - one act of madess does not legitimize
an equal act of madness, does it?

>If anyone finds this offensive, so be it. Just remember that these
>people are just as willing to kill fellow Muslims who don't agree with
>them as they're ready to kill me (and maybe you). Non"fundamentalist"
>Muslims are in danger too, and less able to do anything about it because
>of cultural and family ties, and Muslim governments are hindered by the
>terrorist groups in their own countries (Remember the assassination of
>Anwar Sadat, and the attempts on Mubarak's life.) Remember that the
>Taliban were NOT elected as the government of Afghanistan. They got
>there by force of arms, and there are still groups fighting them. All
>people are not nice, all people are not reasonable, all people are not
>ready to get along if we just "give them the chance." Some - not many ,
>but enough to make a difference - are ready to kill you and me and the
>nice (Muslim) lady down my block, just because we're citizens of a
>particular country.

i envy your conviction, frankly. perhaps i am a coward.
i just don't think hatred and blaming and finger-pointing is going to make
a difference a this point.
diane

>Rachel Heckert
>
>On Sun, 16 Sep 2001 14:58:18 -0400 "Eugene Matusov" <ematusov@udel.edu>
>writes:
>> Dear Rachel--
>>
>> cut<
>>
>> You are right that if this tragedy had happened with people I knew,
>> I'd
>> be paralyzed. However, I'd hope that people who are not paralyzed
>> would
>> help to avoid future tragedies like that, especially tragedies that
>> people close to me, living in the same country may be involved. I'd
>> hope
>> that there would be people who would not allow some politicians to
>> hijack the tragedy for their own political purposes that often
>> produce
>> more tragedies like that.
>>
>> In his short term, I can see a pattern of how Bush administration
>> systematically uses, exploits, and promotes crises for its political
>> goals -- economic, energy, and now war. I wonder if this ruling by
>> crises is Bush's way to deal with his lack of mandate in the past
>> election....
>>cut<

"Waves of hands, hesitations at street corners, someone dropping a
cigarette in a gutter - all are stories. But which is the true story? That
I do not know. Hence I keep my phrases hung like clothes in a cupboard,
waiting for someone to wear them. Thus waiting, thus speculating, making
this note and then another, I do not cling to life."
Virginia Woolf, The Waves, 1931.

     (...life clings to me...)
diane celia hodges
university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
vancouver, bc
mailing address: 46 broadview avenue, montreal, qc, H9R 3Z2