Re: New York City

From: Ana Marjanovic Shane (anashane@speakeasy.net)
Date: Sun Sep 16 2001 - 11:16:01 PDT

Karen wrote:

>Perhaps it's just a little too easy to rhetoricize when it's not
>the blood of people you know.

Right.

We are all shocked and numbed. But no question that those who had been
personally hit are those who really suffer. Us others can only sympathize,
empathize be horrified, stunned in awe - but we do not actually really hurt.

On the other hand - no one who is shock can really see the whole picture
and all its implications and complexities. In order to function
constructively, one has to have a wisdom of a cool heart. Just like a
doctor who is a witness to a great human tragedy but is not A PART of it.

In a way, all I want to say is that there is a whole range of emotions and
a whole range of the intensities of these emotions spread around. I just
hope that those who are in power to make a real difference do not act on
the basis of heated heads and without cool and wise insight into the future
implications of their present acts and actions. In other words - further
retaliation will just add to the global suffering instead of helping avert
more of the suffering of all of us in the future.

Ana