RE: tragedy in New York

From: Gary D Shank (shank@duq.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 22:57:37 PDT

I would like to agree with phillip and further say that it is a very short
step from righteous anger to hatred. Hatred is the toxic brew that
foments all of this turmoil, in one way or another. My daughter morgan
spent the afternoon today making a flying that said -- heroes don't hate
-- to distribute on her college campus.

What is the final answer? Here is the best that I can do, from my own
faith base. It is matthew chapter 5, the very end of the sermon on the
mount, which really was the only genuine sermon that jesus ever gave.
Here is where he left the ante, pulling no punches --

43 "You have heard that it was said, `Love your neighbor and hate your
enemy.'
44 But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
45 that you may be chldren of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to
rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the
unrighteous.
46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even
the tax collectors doing that?
47 And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than
others? Do not even pagans do that?
48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

If we can do that, then we are all home free. If we can only purge some
of our hate, then we will be somewhat healthier. Every initiative that
phillip suggests will help free us from hate and make us healthier, as
well as helping others in oppression. But it will be hard for america to
do thisI.

gary
shank@duq.edu