Re: tragedy in New York

From: Matvey Sokolovsky (sokolovs@uconnvm.uconn.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 18:40:38 PDT

After some hesitation I decided to join the discussion of the attack.

Here is the dilemma - the fourth plane. We don't know how it crashed, one
possibility it was shut down on the way to Washington. Let's think about
it. Say, there is a plane with 250 passengers on board heading towards NYC,
and we know the plan is to crash it into a tower. There is time to act.
Should the plane be shut down?

I completely disagree with Eugene, our discussion is guided by emotions,
and is framed by our own, very local cultural beliefs. We don't like wars.
I don't like them either. I was not really able to work for several days.
Does it mean that all cultures in the world are like us? Were Palestinians
dancing because they are oppressed or because their culture is different?
How many of xmca members are suicide bombers? Was Stalin brutal because he
was oppressed?

Yes, US is at war with the world, or ignorant of the world. It is
convenient to think that people kill because they are poor or do it in
retaliation. It is also very self-pleasing to discuss the right of four
cells for survival when 30% of Africa dies out from AIDS, starvation is
wide spread and huge number of working Americans cannot go to a doctor
because they don't have health insurance. Soltys is probably a
schizophrenic but isn't 2 mass killings last week too much? Was this
because their parents beat them up? Mike, how many people were killed in
the last century? Do you really think this is because they were mistreated
as children?

Many Israelis do not like American interventions. They say Americans come
with their naive beliefs about how the things are. I don't want an
indiscriminant bombing of Afghanistan. Plus, I don't think Bush is capable
of any reasonable solution. Should we take a vote for the place for the
first nuclear terrorist attack? Which coast, any suggestions? (see above
the plane dilemma).

Honestly, I don't have a solution. But all this is a reminder for me that
the world I lived in is a dream world, and I perceive the xmca discussion
as an attempt to come back to the dream world.

Sorry

Matvey Sokolovsky
NetZero Platinum
Only $9.95 per month!
Sign up in September to win one of 30 Hawaiian Vacations for 2!