Re: Words as commodity/client

From: Andy Blunden (andy@mira.net)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 07:13:07 PDT

Depending on where your organisation started from, "client" could be a step
forward.
I work in a University, so "client" or "customer" (same thing really, with
additional commercial connotations), is a step forward from the public
service type of mentality that recognised no relationship with the students
at all, but is a huge step backwards from the conception of "student" which
anyone on this list would aspire to. I make a point of unceasingly
campaigning against the conception of "student as client" in my work.
Instead it is a conception of collaborators in learning.
Actually, you could relate to the people trying to "rehabilitate"
themselves as collaborators too. I mean, they have to do it, you can't do
it for them! You and the "patient" have to collaborate in them getting back
to being well. Sometimes, the reality of the relationship is just so far
away from genuine collaboration, that it would be absurd to refuse to use
the word client, ... but one should always strive to overcome the
client-service provider relationship.

Andy