learning to be liberal

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 15:57:30 PDT

gary writes
>it goes far deeper than skinner and parsons, alas... if the goal of
>liberal education is to free the learner from the tyranny of being born at
>a particular place and time, then we are increasingly becoming the jailers
>of contemporary culture. not once in my own formal education was i
>exposed
>to the thoughts of some of the great minds of all time, including but not
>limited to -- duns scotus, james joyce, lao tsu, and if we exclude those
>folks who were merely mentioned, like aquinas and confucious, then the
>list
>stretches out endlessly...

i just finished reading Cynthia Ozik's novel, "The Cannibal Galaxy,"
(fiction! how scandalous!)
about a Jewish man who, as a boy orphaned by Nazi occupation in Paris, is
harboured by nuns during WWII - As a man, he opens his own school in
midwestern America, creating a curriculum to emulate the texts that
surrounded him as a child in hiding; a school dedicated to teaching the
"classics" of European culture, and the moral teachings of Hebrew
scholarship and religion, something he calls a "Dual Curriculum."
the effect is not how students are inspired by canons of the typified
"European" education, but how school teaches children to be good students
in spite of learning; how schools hail mediocrity as excellence.... Alas,
there is more here than curriculum. Undoing what school is requires
greater deconstruction into what school is not, as much as what a
"liberal" education might yet be, doncha think?
diane
"Waves of hands, hesitations at street corners, someone dropping a
cigarette in a gutter - all are stories. But which is the true story? That
I do not know. Hence I keep my phrases hung like clothes in a cupboard,
waiting for someone to wear them. Thus waiting, thus speculating, making
this note and then another, I do not cling to life."
Virginia Woolf, The Waves, 1931.

     (...life clings to me...)
diane celia hodges
university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
vancouver, bc
mailing address: 46 broadview avenue, montreal, qc, H9R 3Z2