Re: bullfights versus barnraising

From: Kevin Rocap (krocap@csulb.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 12:18:35 PDT

Dear Alena et al,

My command of the moral education lit is likely a bit dated, but
Kohlberg's work is, to some, "classic."

Kohlberg wrote:

The Meaning and Measurement of Moral Develoment

But that is, evidently, in and out of print. Another book entitled
"Lawrence Kohlberg's Approach to Moral Education" is available through
Amazon.

And, of course, in different, but related vein there are Robert Coles's
books including "The Moral Life of Children."

I believe there is a Journal of Moral Education, put out by Abingdon.
At least I have a 1999 article from the Journal (I expect the Journal is
still around), the article is entitled:

"Families and schools as compensating agents in moral development for a
multicultural society" from Vol 28, Issue 3

That article examines issues of "empathy" and "responsiveness." Just
FYI.

I have to say, though I certainly understand that you have a more
thoughtful process, that I got a pop media image in my head of flashing
flood lights and someone intoning "you are the Weakest Link...goodbye"
when reading about the "expulsion" process. I have to admit, that is
pretty high stakes and, I'd say for a student, pretty authentic.

Thanks for sharing your process.

In Peace,
K.