Re: bullfights versus barnraising

From: Kevin Rocap (krocap@csulb.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 09:37:24 PDT

Dear friends,

I'm struck at the challenge of presenting consensus as a topic to
students. Alena, do you attempt to give them an experience of
consensus-building? If so, it seems it could be a particular challenge
to find an authentic enough, "got a stake in it," issue for students to
grapple with.

It also seems to me that learning to be apt at consensus-building would
be co-implicated in other issues we often don't handle so well in
education, such as moral education (of the Kohlberg, et al, variety, not
religious right, thank you). Empathy, learned and nurtured in
educational settings is a key construct, it seems to me, that could make
consensus-building ultimately more viable as a process.

Just a thought.

In Peace,
K.