Answers for Howard's questions

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Fri Aug 31 2001 - 17:45:10 PDT

In a message dated 8/30/2001 11:57:20 AM Central Daylight Time,
HowHtJ@aol.com writes:

> Eric - some initial questions come to mind.
> -Where do these test help you to understand the processes these people go
> through and where do they serve to help others supervise you in rule
> governed
> behavior and is that supervision helpful?
> -Do you need knowledge about the essence of the people you serve or about
> the
> ways in which they participate with others in the culture surrounding you
> both and do the tests provide any knowledge of this kind.

I am thankful for your questions Howard so that I may categorize the
importance of these normed scores for my own benefit. On a theoretical basis
I am certainly in favor of informing my clients of their true abilites and
the impact their disability will have when they are expected to perform a
task or job. The majority of this knowledge I gather from assessing how the
client performs according to the expectations I place upon them. These
observations are conducted in multiple settings and are always directed
towards benefit for the client. The instruments I use for gathering this
information is informal and is described in narrative form on the offical
School District Assesment. If I were asked whether I would need to go any
further in this process I would have to say for 50 % of my clients direct
observation would suffice for service delivery. Sometimes I get performance
that doesn't match my expected level of performance in my client (Zoped) and
so the use of scientifically normed testing instruments would be helpful in
finetuning my understanding of why a person is or is not responding according
to my expectations.

I do need knowledge of how their (my clients) IMMEDIATE culture impacts their
learning and, no I do not have an instrument for measuring this. I interview
relatives and do home-visits but I am saying that having a normed cultural
rating tool would answer some questions Sylvia and Michael brought up as a
result of conducting their scientific cultural expereiments. Such as, "Is
syllogism a literary form or an actual innate skill people pocess." Or on
the other hand can we answer Latour's question reagrding whether culture
impacts the acceptance or resjection of theoretical constructs.

thank you for interrupting your lurking Howard. any others?

Eric