Re: theory/practice

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Wed Aug 29 2001 - 19:19:18 PDT

In a message dated 8/29/2001 3:58:22 PM Central Daylight Time,
phillip.capper@webresearch.co.nz writes:

> I believe that we will not get this anywhere near right (we will never get
> it totally right) until we move to a balance. The proper role of normed
> assessment instruments (in both education and health) is as a tool to
> assist in the making of informed professional judgements. Professional
> mysticism and secrecy was the main cause of the backlash through public
> policy. The professional teacher and health worker must learn to operate in
> an environment where the processes they use for making professional
> judgements are open to scrutiny every time they use them, and that those
> processes must engage with every person who has a stake in the decision.

Phillip,

I agree. I never claimed to used the scores derived from normed tools as the
sole decider of services. Everyone assumed because I brought up normed tests
I was singing their praises and wanted to scrap all other forms of
assessment. Witch-doctoring, hmmm? sounds like your a fan of Freud's
psychoanalysis theory.

Eric