eric sounds kind of scary to me

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Wed Aug 29 2001 - 19:13:55 PDT

In a message dated 8/29/2001 12:57:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
Phillip_White@ceo.cudenver.edu writes:

> eric sounds kind of scary to me,
> the sort of mental health worker who works from theory and mind, rather
> than from wisdom and heart. and, of course, wisdom and heart cannot be
> measured. yet they seem to me to be the site not only of healing but of
> learning as well.

Because I defend the use of a IQ tests I sound scary to you? I never once
said that I use these scores as pure determinants. People just automatically
started assuming I never used any other assessment tool. It is not an
either/or proposition. Believe me I go with my heart so many times during
the school year it scares me. Once I took an extemely impaired kid alongside
a busy freeway to shag golfballs from a nearby driving range for a dime
apiece so he could earn enough money to buy a gift for his staff at the group
home. Sound crazy? Yeah. Was it a valuable experience that that kid will
never forget? Yeah. Why didn't I give him the money myself? What would he
have learned from that? Phillip, don't assume just becuse I use IQ scores I
am a cruel, heartless monster.

Boo,
Eric