Re: theory/practice

From: Charles Nelson (c.nelson@mail.utexas.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 29 2001 - 08:56:55 PDT

Some rambling thoughts:

Was it "just some historical accident that positivism, scientism, and
[Marxism] are all inter-twined?"

Intelligence is a function of both environment and genes, but so is
athleticism. Why doesn't anyone say that determining who is a better
athlete is a positivisitic tendency?

So, theoretically, we shouldn't use just one tool of measurement for
intelligence; we shouldn't be reductionist; the system needs to be
made fair; and we need to understand the historical causes of
"maladies". Okay, still I wonder, Is there any practical advice for
someone in Eric's position in addition to Ruth's suggestions of
observations and work samples.

Charles Nelson