Re: reading Laszlo's paper

From: Garai László (garai@mtapi.hu)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2001 - 06:03:46 PDT

Bruce,

For this point:

----- Original Message -----
From: Bruce Robinson <bruce.rob@btinternet.com>
To: xmca list <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Cc: Helen Richardson <H.Richardson@salford.ac.uk>
Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2001 4:31 PM
Subject: Re: reading Laszlo's paper

> In what sense can we talk of a discipline being in crisis over
> a long period during which knowledge can nevertheless be seen to advance
> through a - however flawed - 'normal science'?

I admit that it is the most embarrassing point of the whole matter. I have to also admit, that, thus, I have about it two different positions:

1. We have one long-lasting crisis, as I put it in the mail you have been quoting, and I may agree even with Mike, who writes about 75 years of crisis.

2. It is "another crisis", as we put it in the tittle of our paper, and between this one and that of LSV there is a totally anti-crisis period with the euphoria of a full consensus about the psychology being a natural science.

But for both positions it holds that the crisis/ crises is/are related to that problem of a split psychology.

For this point, Bill. You ask me: