Re: Community Literacy Programs

From: Paul H.Dillon (illonph@pacbell.net)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 08:02:40 PDT

mike,

for several years now I have been preparing the evaluation component for a
local art/culture organization's proposals to establish CTCs with arts based
programs for kids -- I'd be glad to send you a copy of the proposal. There
is really quite a bit out there on project evaluation when you look at the
after school/in-addition-to-school arts programs that are focused AS
community development projects as much as "education". . I went through a
mountain of this literature two years ago If funded this year (and I think
we will be since we missed funding by one point last time with a much weaker
proposal) I will be heading up the evaluation efforts.

I can't remember if I told you about the Rockefeller foundation publication:
"Creative Community: The Art of Cultural Development." by Don Adams and
Arlene Goldfarb. It's something of a mindblower since the point of view is
heavily influenced by the Freire-Giroux-et al (who does where Freire's
tiara?) directions. But then Rockefeller paid Rivera right? Amazing what a
guilty conscience transmitted over generations can lead to. Anyway, you can
get the publication for free over the web -- a simple search on Rockefeller
or author's names should lead you to the site.

In general I think that you are going to find more useful materials in the
community development field than you will find in traditional ed research.
You also might investgate the listserve ARNOVA-L which focuses on non-profit
research which I found very useful and chock full of helpful people with
quite practical concerns.

Paul H. Dillon