rough housing or weighty theorizing?

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 08:38:57 PDT

Phillip--

So, bere again we get a difference in interpretation. We would have to check,
and it would be interesting to do so, but Arne's style to my mind was
distinctly NOT of the Oxford debating society kind. More of the German
high theory kind, theory so high that it often seems like empirical
verification of what, at the end of the discussion, seem self obvious
truths, so thoroughly have they been proven.

I often found his notes difficult, but never contentious for conteneiousness'
sake whilst I find that some of my British colleagues appear like just
such an approach. And OF COURSE that is just my interpretation.

I can only imagine how irritating the often oft-handed and half-backed and
intentionally non-confrontational approach which I take to have been, and to
still often be, the style of xmca is to people from other traditions, status
aside.
mike