Vygotsky's Crisis

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 19:41:10 PDT

In order to best understand my interpretation of Vygotsky's Crisis it is most
important I reveal the history of my reading his 1927 thesis. Having worked
for 8 years as an assistant in Special Education classrooms I had learned how
to establish positive, productive relationships with students. I had a
Bachelor's degree in psychology so I was always interested in theoretical
constructs of educational dynamics. One glaring reality kept coming to the
surface of my thought, social workers and teachers generally hold different
philosophies on how to help kids. So, I got on a research bender and read
Durkheim, Dewey, James, Rolo May, Chomsky, Hegel and then finally from Andy
Blunden's links I came across Vygotsky's Crisis. When I read how fed up he
was with theoretical thought that wasn't relevant to sound psychological
practice I was astounded at how fresh his words rang for the crisis that is
present in America's schools.

I must cut this short but in conclusion it is Vygotsky's emphasis on
practical application of psychological theory that has earned him my respect
as a current practitioner of service delivery.

More if anyone is interested,
Eric