different strokes

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 16:43:49 PDT

Bill-- Its easy for ME to agree withyou, since I always had the same reaction
to Arne's postings, long before I met that diffident, generous, face to face
Arne I was privileged to know for a while. But the point is that not everyone
shared my interpretation and people I respect every bit as much as I respected
Arne were convinced that they had the right interpretation. Some remained
silent, some left the list.

And so it has been with many.

A factor I forgot to mention that is correlated with age. At least in American
academia, if one remains in it, one is handed all sorts of pretty hefty
obligations to local communities. For example, Jay is working hard for
one part of the City University of New York. Joe Glick is heading up some
conglomeration of developmental programs that boggles my mind just to hear
recited, never mind thought about. Jim Wertsch headed up an Education
Department. Others, like myself, run away from such obligations, leaving us
more time for things like xmca.

Its the mirror image of the junior faculty program where the push for
publication and class preparations make other than lurking a perilous way
to use one's time.

The payoff is in your message when you write, " Perhaps I don't view "telling" aimed at helping me to
understand as lecturing." Generally speaking, I interpret people as trying
to help me understand. And generally speaking, I think that is what everyone
on xmca does, for better and for worse.

So, we have some topics to hand, but no real plans for the fall. I have only
heard from a few people about Mike Rose's paper, but those few have had a lot
of interesting things to say. And now Laszlo invites us to consider the
crisis in psychology and what that has to do with the Vygotsky boom, and
maybe some readings in German critical psychology. And who knows, maybe even
a little bit better organized systems for interacting in.
mike