FW: Tipping in restaurants

From: Buzzelli, Cary Anthony (cbuzzell@indiana.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 07:58:31 PDT

 I haven't read all the notes on tipping but having just returned from
spendin four months on sabbatical in NZ, I can say that we didn't tip, or
did to rarely, and the by and large the service was excellent. It may be
that the economics of resturant work is very different in NZ. Perhaps they
are paid a more decent wage and so may rely less on tips. I do seem to
recall someone saying to me, or maybe this is just something I seemed to
pick up, and that is a different way in thiking about work and service. All
in all I found it a much better way than the tipping in the US. I would
rather pay more for the meal than be expected to tip. I mean think about
it. You go into a diner and have a meal and perhaps leave a $2 or $3 or $4
tip - which may be reasonable. Then, you pay much more for a nice meal and
are expected to leave a larger tip based upon the cost of the meal. What
always bothers me is that the person working in the diner seems to be
working just as hard as the person in the 'fine' resturant - yet the latter
receives a MUCH larger tip. It seems we somehow value their work
differently.

Cary