Rose - Working Life of a Waitress

From: Phillip Capper (phillip.capper@webresearch.co.nz)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2001 - 17:13:20 PDT

I havbe just read the Rose paper as recommended by Mike.

I found it extraordinary- extraordnarily moving for a start. I have
many immediate comments, but I'll reflect a bit first. I certainly agree
that it sets an agenda of challenge for developmental work research. We have
been especially struggling with the issue of internal mental processes and
their relationship to CHAT. However he goes a bit far in suggesting that AT
DENIES the importance of individual mental processes.

At the moment we are coming to the same issues (actually, just about ALL the
same issues) from a diametrically opposite work context - long haul airline
pilots, who are perceived as requiring much higher skills levels than
waitresses,
but spend most of their workinglives doing virutally nothing.
One long haul pilot, asked what his job was
like, replied 'Get your vacuum cleaner, go into your closet, shut the door,
switch on the vacuum cleaner, and sit there for 12 hours."

Phillip Capper
WEB Research
PO Box 2855
(Level 9, 142 Featherston Street)