Re: time, memory of one and many, zipf's law.

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 20:19:40 PDT

In a message dated 8/13/2001 7:57:51 PM Central Daylight Time,
wbarowy@yahoo.com writes:

> . There are aspects of the common space of
> xmca, that exchanges take up, that are very similar to the human
> consumption of
> other renewable resources.

Now, consider the following quote from the premier issue of MENTAL FLOSS
critiquing the book Nonzero, by author Robert Wright, "The idea begins with a
tennis match, or a basketball game. There is a winner , and there is a
loser, a positive credit and a negative one - summing to zero. This is
competition, and in nature finite resources leave us with no other choice but
to compete, to play these zero sum games."

It would appear that in the finite world of public commons that adding a cow
in one area would subtract a cow in another. That if one waters their
community garden, an area of the community garden loses its dryness. As I
see it, digging a hole may place a pile of dirt on the grass but it does
reduce the overhead, doesn't it? Meaning you have a little less grass to
fertilize and water.

Am I just seeing the glass as half-full?
Eric

P.S. Is a hole ever completely empty?