scientific/spontaneous/zopeds

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 09:33:17 PDT

Eric-

Administrators treat rules as if they were unambiguous rails to be ridden
at set speeds and educational reformers (like the zealots in San Diego
right now) are busy trying yet once again to pre-scribe, to set rigidly
in place ahead of time, a set curriculum with moment by moment procedurs.

Such misconceptions can be explained in a variety of ways, but I was not
trying to do that. Rather, for this group of people who are trying to figure
out how to construct teaching/learning interactions I was trying to emphasize
the open systems philosophy crucial to the notion of a zoped as a
scientific concept within CHAT.

Note. Some very good researchers have tried to treat zopeds as closed
systems, using indices such as number and quality of hints to get the
"right answer" as a metric. Such efforts are also understandable given the
system they are designed for, but they administrative band aids, not
development enhancing practices..... At least, such is my view
mike