Re: cultural=linear time?!?

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 21:01:19 PDT

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:
>Diane! I felt flat on my nose when i read your words, cultural-time
>(linearities).

ouch!

>By my analysis (in *Cultural Psychology*) and a paper called "remembering
>the future" among other places I argue that NON-linearity is a crucial
>characteristic of artifact mediated life.

hm. what i mean, by "cultural-time" is more in terms of the measuring- and
the relations between measuring and inventions of "time" as linear, the
"this-then-this" sequencing, the idea of past-present-future,
tomorrows, 10 minutes ago, twenty years from now,
twenty years ago, yesterday, and so on. cultural time, for me, is when the
instruments that measure time gain credence to, or act as evidence of
"time."

>mightent the apparent linearity of "cultural time" the way you are using
>it
>be a consequence of the construction of narratives, secondary artifacts
>of a
>particular kind, which creat the illustion of linearity?
>mike

absolutely - narratives script consciousness in such a way that we assume
"time" in linearities,
and narratives are cultural artifacts.
in my belief system, time is neither linear nor non-linear, but occurs as
a simultaneity,
but oiy! we've all had this conversation.
:)
diane

"I want you to put the crayon back in my brain."
Homer Simpson

diane celia hodges
university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
vancouver, bc
mailing address: 46 broadview avenue, montreal, qc, H9R 3Z2