Re: remembering time

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 14:47:58 PDT

In a message dated 8/7/2001 11:57:57 PM Central Daylight Time,
dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu writes:

> in a time-sense. memories might seem to
> last, as we indulge in the remembering, but in terms of cultural time, the
> event of a memory lasts a millisecond.
>
> there is no time in memory. which is not to say it doesn't take time to
> remember...

In trying to construct a design for representing the difference between
abstract and concrete I though about how our memory works and how it relates
to time. While our physical senses are maneuvering the environment in 'real
time' (i.e opening the door before walking through it) we can use our memory
to recall the time when Aunt Edna didn't see a patio door was close and
slammed her noggin' into it. Furthermore we could imagine ourselves doing
just that in 'real time' subsequently making time irrelevant within our
memory. From this design it would it then be fair to say that we exist both
in 'real time' (4th dimension) and 'memory time'(5th dimension). "Real time"
would represent our experiences at the concrete, one in which finite
possibilities exist. "Memory time" is infinite in its possibilities and
allow people to represent their experiences in a manner that provides
spontaneity and growth beyond that which exists in reality.

Eric