Re: monolithic educational policy

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 14:22:40 PDT

Bill,

I did my student teaching in an elementary school that considered itself very
progressive in the curriculum of active science experimentation. This was
in the psst couple of years this student teaching took place. The notion is
fabulous, the practice was distasteful. The principal insisted on scripted
classrooms and my enthusiasm to try lesson plans I had had success with in
the past (as an educational assistant) were frowned upon. This method of
being a scripted mediator is much of what Activity Theory is embracing and I
for one was not in favor of it. The stress this faculty carried on its
shoulders was great indeed. There was so much pressure to fulfill the role
of mediator it appeared as if spontaneity was ruled out. Prior to starting
the position I had read some Vygotsky and was familar with his theory of
teacher as mediator so I was ready to help students reach their zpd.
However, I found myslef so concerned with getting through the script I didn't
have the time to facilitate individual relationships with the students,
something that I believe comes from a more spontaneous exchange. Maybe I
hven't explained my criticism well enough so if you would please ask specific
questions I would glad to answer them.

Much happier with the e/bd'ers ,
Eric