Re: RE: public opinion pohl

From: Katherine Goff (Katherine_Goff@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 09:55:10 PDT

diane writes:
>But if I understand Gary correctly, he is saying that the essence of
>schooling lies in very humble but powerful forces of people (call them
>teachers for now) thoroughly enjoying the opportunity to work with kids
>(call them students for now) to foster their intellectual, emotional and,
>even spiritual growth.

bell hooks defines this activity as love---
the will to act to support one's own or another's spiritual, mental,
emotional, and physical growth
(actually, i think she takes this from m. scott peck.)
the words "i love to teach" or "i love kids" or somesuch slip easily and
frequently from the lips of elementary school teachers. but is never taken
seriously. i once had a school director tell me that she never believed
any applicant who claimed to love kids and wouldn't hire that person.

>I will go and be alone with my sandwich now.........djc

now diane, this sounds more like homer simpson than you!

(my youngest son is quite a simpsons scholar and is known t o quote homer
at the dinner table. alas! when he was but a babe, i had hoped he would
grow up to quote a different homer.)

recursively remembering something better forgotten,
kathie

Words are the thunders of the mind.
Words are the refinement of the flesh.
Words are the responses to the thousand curvaceous moments---
     we just manage it---
     sweet and electric, words flow from the brain
     and out the gate of the mouth.

We make books of them, out of hesitations and grammar.
We are slow, and choosy.
This is the world.
                                            Mary Oliver - The Leaf and the
Cloud