Re: RE: Education reform, was Re(3): job

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 23:12:20 PDT

Jay, ever-safe, sez,
>I do think screaming does some good. Rationality alone is not the answer
>our present dilemma. There must come a point when we just say "this is
>crap", it is an insult to our intelligence and our humanity. But you are
>right, there is then an obligation to provide alternatives. But they are
>not, I think, minor alternatives ... better standards, better evaluation
>measures ... they must be an alternative paradigm in some much more
>fundamental sense. And I think one key to that different paradigm is a
>strong move away from uniformity and standardization ... that in some
>sense
>every student should learn a different and unique assemblage of
>knowledges
>and skills, should follow a different pathway in learning, should be
>evaluated as a unique work of human achievement and not by any uniform or
>directly comparative set of Procrustean standards. This is an extreme
>version, but it makes the point.

omigawd. i PUKE on your rhetoric. no offense. you are a dear, but you
speak from specific privilege, and as a doctoral student, i tried - i
tried to influence people, i tried to invent contexts of change,
i tried to write the value of diversity, and for what?
CRAP. NADA.

face it, ::: participating WITH the bureaucracy gives you the authority to
phrase a cautious critique - but for those of us rebels who have never
succeeded in conforming ,hell. we're nothing more than decoration.

>I am also not arguing for a totally individualistic approach to
>education.
>The value of uniqueness is in its unique contribution to collaborative
>partnerships.

rhetoric. UGH. specify.
when everyone around you is a satisfied piece of the machine,
how do you cultivate a community of collaboration? with whom? all the
other non-persons? in the end, DUDE, anyone who wants a job turns into the
person that is going to be hired. the end. until the institution can value
difference, nothing will change.

>Just as learning is fundamentally social and collaborative in
>how we learn, so it should also be a primary goal of education that we
>learn how to partner with others who differ from us on many dimensions
>NOT so that we can partner with ANYONE ... we also have to recognize the
>uniqueness of collaboratives; not all combinations work. We have to learn
>how to tell who we can effectively work with, and what kind of
>complementary partners we need for various sorts of tasks, or how to find
>this out.

you know, i think the world of you, Jay-ster,
but this is all reaks of platitude and privilege.

the truth is... well.

who knows.
change is death.

what are you willing to give up for change?

diane
p.s. seriously, WHO is offering 15million for a teacher ed reform?????

"I want you to put the crayon back in my brain."
Homer Simpson

diane celia hodges
university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
vancouver, bc
mailing address: 46 broadview avenue, montreal, qc, H9R 3Z2