Re: RE: Education reform, was Re(3): job

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 22:13:46 PDT

i wish i had a more optimistic response, but i am reminded of
Woody Allen's perspective, indicative really of the Freudian view:

"I hate change: change is death to me."

diane
(who has agonized, of necessity died, and yet resurrected often enough to
appreciate the value of the statement.)

re-form: to form again. we have never really succeeded in the agonizing
process of tearing down the existing structures, let alone re-form new
ones.
consciousness if reflective of these same structures, n'est pas? it isn't
a case of imagining to perfect
system, so much as coming to terms with what must be UNdone
in order to re-invent.

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:
>How does change happen? I mean we can let out a good scream, but what good
>does that do? If we think the current system is messed up, what do we do?
>My
>impression is that folks creating and "inspecting" these standards believe
>in what they are doing. Schools should help people learn things. It ought
>be possible to specify what those things are and measure whether they have
>been learned. Is the problem that we haven't done a good job of specifying
>those learnings or measuring their attainment? Then we need to fix that.
>If
>the problem is that our whole conception of schooling is wrong, then we
>need
>to show compelling examples of where we got it right. Most folks, myself
>included, are going to keep doing things the way they always have unless
>they can be shown compelling examples of something better. So if WE (XMCA)
>ruled the world, what would those examples look like? And how would we
>know
>they were better?
>
>djc

"I want you to put the crayon back in my brain."
Homer Simpson

diane celia hodges
university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
vancouver, bc
mailing address: 46 broadview avenue, montreal, qc, H9R 3Z2