Re: Remembering, wondering, thinking, forgetting, knowing, feeling

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 19:53:30 PDT

philster, phil-guy-meister, phil-o-rama, heretofore taunted as Phikl, sez
>At 07:01 AM 7/08/2001 -0600, DCH wrote:
>>as for the words, i can't get past the grammar - memory is a noun,
>>remember is the verb. what would helpfully move beyond that grammatical
>>function?
>
>I don't know that it is a grammatical _fiction_, DCH, nor even merely a
>grammatical function:
>
>For instance, I clearly remember wondering if I had forgetten something.
>And that was just this morning.

as i was saying, we can learn more about remembering if we look more
closely at forgetting. :)
i don't remember forgetting, but i often remember that i forgot. but yes,
that tickling feeling of forgetting -
wasn't there something i was supposed to remember? and so on. hmmmmm.

>I also remember, a long time ago, when I used to drink lots of booze,
>that
>I forgot lots of stuff that I know I'll never remember. But I clearly
>remember *never* being able to remember all that stuff (*time*). And I
>also
>know that I'll never know what it was that I forgot.
>And that was, and is, a really scary feeling whenever I remember it.
>In the end, it was one of the main things that stopped me drinking the
>damned poison.

me too - although it wasn't the forgetting entire weekends, for example,
so much,
as the physical deterioration. but i remember well that post-drunk haze,
trying to remember, what did i do, say, who was i with, what happened, and
all. often less. and yer right, we'll never know what we forgot,
in fact, even when others have told me what i did/said/whatever, it was
impossible to connect the reminders with a memory. that kind of amnesia is
different, of course, from the more subtle emotional amnesias and neurotic
amnesias of everyday life.

>Jet lag does the same to me, though not as badly.

how so?

>Iteratively yours,
>Phil (who did drink, and then didn't, yet still remains a drunk)

ya - used to drink, have stopped, but am still a drunk. i still remember
the blackouts, too, even as i can't recall what went on, i recall the
empty spaces and gaps.

>(Post parenthetically thinking that the 15 mill ought to be a relatively
>easy schnavvle, since the contorted and contradictory "curriculum" *is*
>the
>current ideology, and the current ideology is geared towards the
>commodification of total lived experience).

well YE-ESSS. but WHO is offering the cash, that's what i want to know.
WHAT 15-mill, ? where?
who?
diane-erina

"I want you to put the crayon back in my brain."
Homer Simpson

diane celia hodges
university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
vancouver, bc
mailing address: 46 broadview avenue, montreal, qc, H9R 3Z2