Re: RE: different names for.....

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 05:33:45 PDT

clases@ifap.bepr.ethz.ch writes:
>a (picturesque) novelist's point
>of view on memory ...
>
>"You have to begin to lose your memory,
> if only in bits and pieces,
> to realize that memory is what makes our lives.
> Life without memory is no life at all. (...)
> Our memory is our coherence, our reason,
> our feeling, even our action.
> Without it, we are nothing ..."
> (Luis Buñuel)

thanks christophe, - this is precisely the character of memory, isn't it:
one need only
read about alzenheimer's disease to understand the intimate role that
memory plays in identity
and social existence.

another possible representation is available in a skit from the American
tv show, Saturday Night Live,
when Tom Hanks played a character called "Mr. Short-Term Memory" (i.e., he
had none) which was hilarious,
if only for the literal impossibility of "being" without the capacity to
remember one moment to the next.

diane

"I want you to put the crayon back in my brain."
Homer Simpson

diane celia hodges
university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
vancouver, bc
mailing address: 46 broadview avenue, montreal, qc, H9R 3Z2