Re(3): job

From: Martin Owen (mowen@rem.bangor.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 06:18:30 PDT

Phikl writes:
>Jay scrobe:
>>

>>Teacher education is a weak link in the US education system.
>
> yes - yes - yes - for such pervasive, deeply rooted historical
>practices beliefs values that sometimes i think that it can never really
>change - and i don't mean reform - i'm doubtful of the notion of
>reform because it is usually practiced and getting someone else to reform
>rather than reforming one's self.

We in the UK have been under a number of waves of teacher education reform
in the UK since 1977. The current iteration (with competence based
curriculum) is up for renegotiation. The current picture is on
http://www.canteach.gov.uk/info/itt/requirements/index.htm

What is missing from most such systems are the basis of
a) seeing initial teacher training as the start of a process
b) The start provides the framework for asking the questions rather than
providing the answers
c) providing the right starting experiences rather than assuming this is a
one shot process.

Eric's prior criticisms of the US teacher education system are common.
They are based on the contention that experience of the classroom and the
mechanics to operate the machine are sufficient; that teachers are far to
dangerous/stupid to be allowed to act as professionals ; that there is
nothing worth knowing about teaching that needs a framework for analysing;
 and that 19 year -old students still need some growing and nuturing.

On growing and nuturing. Phil I am intrigued. In my cool temperate clime,
I do not associate Aug 1st with planting (either roses or Salvias- even as
I assume the perrenial variety). It is interesting how containerisation
changes the rules.

Being Aug 1st most of my roses (except for modern varieties) have
finished. I shall be content when the hips ripen.

Martin
"A big Hi to all you sentient beings out there. For the rest of you, the
trick is to bang the rocks together."
D.N.Adams (1952-2001)