Re: Machinistic behavior

From: Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad@goteborg.utfors.se)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 03:56:06 PDT

>Et al., It has weighed upon my mind greatly the concept of whether we
>perceive the patterns which inherently rise within social orders as
>mechanistic or functional.

Yes, Eric, you bring up something that is also a concern of mine, about how
we perceive of patterns that arise within social orders. What concerns me
most of all is to what extent we can DO something about the patterns that
we are "inside".

>I bring to light the current pattern which usually follows postings of mine
>that don't follow etiquette, nor attempts to illicit praise. Communication
>towards me becomes stagnant and the once lively discourse is extremely
>subdued. I, using CHAT characteristics, could attribute this pattern to
>associations and levels that escape my understanding. However, I believe
>that this communication pattern emerges from the context of an applied
>method
>that is ongoing and occasionally unpredictable. Yes, the appearance of a
>predicatable pattern would provide me with enough evidence to assume that
>the
>CHAT society has designed and implemented a proper machine for implementing
>purpose and system; therefore, if I question any set protocol of the 'actual
>CHAT system' I will be perceived as a threat to the 'chain of command'.
>
>Remember, whether theory diregards these notions or not; context determines
>function. Just remember; context determines function. Currently determining
>my function, Eric Ramberg

Now, I am not sure I understand everything you are saying here, Eric.

But you seem to perceive the mixed collection of people who post to this
list as a quite organized and representative assembly. The situation of the
individual participant in front of eir screen seems to promote this sense
of being alone, confronted with a bunch of people who are all together -
and it is easy to miss the fact that a LOT of postings do not receive any
reply, and focus on the lack of replies to your own postings. This is, I
think, a very common feeling - and yes, it is usually grounded in reality,
just overlooking that many others also reap very little response from the
few active writers of a list. The regular contributors aren't all that
many, you know, even in a fairly big and active list like the xmca. So,
whose response are you seeking?

With best regards from Eva,
these are the people who have posted to the xmca so far during 2001

Mike Cole 229
Paul Dillon 149
Diane Hodges 135
Bill Barowy 129